Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default hard versus soft solder

mj wrote:

I'm doing some brass model building and the book that I am using as a
guide (by Gerald Wingrove) mentions hard and soft solder. What am I
looking for as far as differences? I suspect the "hard" solder has a
higher melting point (silver solder???) than the soft solder.

Right. By definition, a hard solder is a solder with a melting point
above 450°C. Wellknown hard solders are silver alloys and copper alloys.

The stuff that I got at Radio Shack has this on the label:

Standard Rosin-Core Solder
60/40 (does this mean 60% lead/40% tin?)

Right. And it is a soft solder.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models