Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default hard versus soft solder

On 1 Jan 2006 14:24:21 -0800, "mj" wrote:

I am building the hitch for my model trailer. It is going to be about
10 pieces in the area of the size of a quarter.

Another trick I forgot to mention: Heat Fence. This is some
putty-like goop that comes in a plastic jar. I found it at a
welding store. You put dabs of that on previous joints you want to
protect while making subsequent joints. It shields them from flame
and does some quenching of conducted heat if you go in, get it done
and get out quickly enough.

Wet rags would probably work as well but the goop is easier to place.

If you plan to do more of this sort of modelbuilding, I strongly
encourage you to consider getting a Little Torch O/A setup. The
smallest tanks you can get (MC acet, R oxy) are ample because the
Little Torch uses so little gas.

http://www.littletorch.com/

The kit with tips #2 thru #6 would do everything you want. The #2 is
too small for all but the finest work, the #6 can silverbraze 3/8"
brass rod.

These little torches can silverbraze (or weld) ant antlers. Everyone
I know that has one is delighted with it.

They can also run with oxy-propane and oxy-MAPP. I've tried that,
didn't like it. I get better precision control with a smaller hotter
pinpoint O/A flame. Go in, get it done, get out and quench.

Say something, Bob Swinney!