Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default hard versus soft solder

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 01:08:05 +0000, Nigel Eaton
wrote:

In article .com, mj
writes
WOW Richard! Thanks for all the links! I browsed through them and I got
most of everything answered. It appears that my butane torch is not
going to work for hard solder. My propane torch MIGHT work, otherwise I
will have to look at switching over to MAPP or to a small Ox/Acet
setup.

I don't know much about MAPP, but I would think that Oxy/Acetylene would
be much too aggressive for brass (especially in the small sizes you're
discussing). You're likely to see your pride and joy disappear into a
puddle. Also remember that brass is "hot-short", that is to say that it
is extremely weak when very hot.

I use a propane torch for brass soldering and find it completely
acceptable.

The temp at which brass gets hot-short is way far too hot for
silverbrazing. If you get it that hot yer screwed anyway because
you'll have long since "burned" the flux.

O/A works very well *especially* in the small sizes being discussed.
The key is to use a small enough torch and keep the flame constantly
in motion. Propane is OK for larger jobs, but a Lil' Torch affords
the pinpoint control required for silverbrazing small stuff close
together. That's why jewellers use them.