Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

Default Keeping fridge in a cupboard - good or bad energy?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:44:44 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Jim Scott
writes
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:15:17 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , john
writes

advice.

Bad idea.
Fridges have to give out the heat they have taken from the food.
They do it most efficiently in a cold room. That's why you have to turn
them up in the summer.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Why should you need to turn up a thermostat in a different season? It works
by sensing the temperature inside the cabinet. A setting is the same all
year round.

Do you turn up your room thermostat when it snows? Or your oven on a cold
day?

The bit about working best in a cold room's also not necessarily true

as has been discussed numerous times in here

... not a post to take seriously

Learn some basic physics then come back with a sensible answer.

I have a degree in physics

and it was a sensible answer

and what I said was true - fridges can fail if the ambient temperature
is too low, but since you don't seem to understand how a thermostat
works, It's not really explaining anything more complicated to you

I think you should go away and learn some applied physics and come back
when you have a clue

Since I too have a degree in physics and 40 years teaching and examining
it, it is obvious you don't have any knowledge at all about heat engines
and thermodynamics laws.
The question of the cupboard has little to do with the internal thermostat.
It has everything to do with the temperature difference between the outer
heat sink and the temperature of the surroundings.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK