Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Default HVAC question and saga (long)

I had to tell one of those whiny homeowners that yesterday. Went on a
no heat on a 20 yo heat pump about four days ago. Run cap to the
compressor was bad. Tell ho that due to the age of the equipment I
would recommend replacing the system. He says no, go ahead and replace
run cap. I do, and tell him that although I don't have a crystal ball,
something will break again, maybe sooner, maybe later. I offer him a 1
year maintenance contract which entitles him to 20% off any repairs.
He declines. Yesterday I get a no heat call at the same place. This
time the blower motor has died. Tell him again i recommend replacing
the system but I'll do whatever he wants. he asks about price of new
system and price of blower motor. I tell him and he starts whining
about the money he spent for the run cap and the money he has just
decided to spend for a new blower motor. This goes on for about five
minutes and then I have to explain "overhead" to him. he starts
whining again and I tell him that he should get some more estimates
for the blower motor if he is not happy with the price. This shuts the
idiot up. He buys new blower mototr and 1 year service plan. So now
said genius has spent 99.00 for a run cap, 59.00 twice for service
calls, 477.00 for a blower motor and 183.00 for a service contract.
All of this for a 20 yo system. What a good investment! Not!

$477.00 for a blower motor plus $59.00 for the service call! No wonder
your customers moan. You must have a hell of an overhead! I just
installed a 1/3 HP blower motor for an old lady in her attic air
handler. It cost her just under $250.00 labor and materials. No
service agreement discount. I made a healthy profit, including
doubling my cost of the motor. I like to make a profit, it keeps me in
business. This is why I watch my costs, so I can keep my prices
reasonable and still buy the tools and training I need to provide good
service to my customers.

Stretch