Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nigel Eaton

Default hard versus soft solder

In article .com, mj
writes
WOW Richard! Thanks for all the links! I browsed through them and I got
most of everything answered. It appears that my butane torch is not
going to work for hard solder. My propane torch MIGHT work, otherwise I
will have to look at switching over to MAPP or to a small Ox/Acet
setup.

I don't know much about MAPP, but I would think that Oxy/Acetylene would
be much too aggressive for brass (especially in the small sizes you're
discussing). You're likely to see your pride and joy disappear into a
puddle. Also remember that brass is "hot-short", that is to say that it
is extremely weak when very hot.

I use a propane torch for brass soldering and find it completely
acceptable.

--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
and assorted other stuff, every problem looks like a steam engine.