Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default arc welding with generator

On 1 Jan 2006 14:21:36 -0800, "Rancher Sam"
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if I can run a 225 amp buzz
box at less than its full amperage. The lincoln 225 ac that's in most
home improvement stores has a selector knob that allows you to go from
say 60 amps all the way to 225. If I run the buzz box at 150, for
example, can my 5500 generator handle that?

I have a lincoln, weldpak 3200, mig welder that's for up metal up to
5/16s. Can I make structural welds with multiple passes using this?

I wouldn't. 5/16" is really pushing the 110-volt boxes. I think
1/4" is pushing them, though it can be done -- but you'd spend 90% of
your time waiting for it to cool down after every few inches of
weld. (Been there, done that) You'd be OK with a 220-volt
180-amp wirefeed machine if you're a good weldor. As long as you
have a puddle in (not just on) the parent metal, you're welding.

Buzzboxes draw pretty heavy current even at the lower amperage
settings. It's low power factor inductive current so it doesn't spin
the meter, but it can still overload a genny.