Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default arc welding with generator

The Lincoln buzz box runs at about 25 volts while welding. If your
generator can really put out 5500 continuous, that works out to 220
amps. Allowing for some losses, I'd guess that you could run the 175 amp
tap with no problem. This would be enough to run 5/32" 6011 rod

Your 9500 watt surge works out to a 40 amp surge capability, should be
enough if you stick the rod.

I run an older AIRCO 225 amp welder on a 4000 watt el cheapo generator.
I keep the weld current down to 120 amps, enough for 1/8" rod. Tends to
be a bit finiky but works ok.

Rancher Sam wrote:
I would like to start practicing with an arc welder on scrap metal so I
can move on to welding up metal buildings. The problem is, there is no
electric where I need to practice my welding. I do have a 5500 watt
generator with 9500 surge. I'd like to buy a buzz box to start arc
welding, but I don't want to destroy my generator either for drawing
too much current. Do you guys have any estimates as to how many amps I
can go up to on a buzz box and stay under 5500 watts from the
generator? I'm looking at the 225 amp AC buzz box.

Thanks,

Sam