Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Keeping fridge in a cupboard - good or bad energy?

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:07:45 +0000, Huge wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:37:39 +0000, Richard Marx wrote:

Hi, I have recently moved and have a large kitchen cupboard designed to
take a fridge, with a full-height wooden door on it (almost like entering
another room or broom cupboard). Is keeping the fridge in there with the
door shut a good thing or a bad thing, energy-consumption-wise?

I.e. does the fridge's heat not dissipate so well, heating the cupboard,
causing the fridge interior to warm up faster so its thermostat clicks in
more often; or does it keep the cool in by double-insulating the fridge
making it more energy efficient?

I don't notice any particular cold or hot air when I open the door, but it
certainly keeps the noise in with the door shut!

Thanks for any advice.

Built-in appliances have extensive ventilation to avoid the overheating
problem, so I would say that, Yes, your frig will likely use more energy
if sealed in a box.

(Isn't this one of Andy Hall's thermodynamics questions?)

Well, I was just going to suggest that he opens the fridge door
occasionally to cool down the cupboard...... :-)

--

..andy