Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Default hard versus soft solder

Hi Andrew,
I know what you are talking about for the silver solder. I used to get
this stuff for my dad at his radiator repair shop (many years ago). It
came in strips something like 6" long, 1/8" wide and maybe 1/16" or so
thick. Will my little butane torch melt this stuff? What about my
propane mini-torch? Or is this something for an O-X setup?

I am building the hitch for my model trailer. It is going to be about
10 pieces in the area of the size of a quarter. I tried milling this
out of a solid chunk of brass, but my experience level is not up to
that task. Too many cuts and angles. I am now going to try to mill the
main pieces out of flat brass and then silver solder the main pieces
together (four pieces). I will then use a soft solder as mentioned for
the detail pieces. If I get some time tonite, I'll post a picture of
the hitch on my website.

Strength is not an issue as this will be a static display model.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Mike