Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Default hard versus soft solder

Hi Paul,
I should have mentioned the tools...

For the most part, I am using a butane soldering torch. This one from
Micromark is pretty close to mine:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82559

I also have a mini torch that fits on the end of a propane bottle. I
don't use that one much because the butane one is a lot handier with
the auto light feature.

For whatever it is worth, I am using flux with the rosin core solder.

So..if I am reading this right, the solder that plumbers use for
soldering copper pipe is a "hard" solder, correct? Interesting. I more
pictured those sticks of silver solder as a hard solder.

Once I solder something with a "hard" solder, can I go back and add a
part by "soft" soldering it without the previous part coming loose
since I should use less heat with soft solder?

Take a look at my website for what I have gotten done so far on my
first model. Click on the pic of the mini-lathe on the homepage and
then the trailer on the next page:

www.angelfire.com/sd2/82crewcab/index.html

Mike