Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Group question on machining something

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:43:26 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:33:51 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:22:52 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

As for cast iron I'm of the opinion that there's nothing that will
replace brazing. I don't even use nickel rods unless I'm force to for
some reason or another.

Ever try "railroad rod" with Ferro-Flux and O/A? I wouldn't say
that it's better than good brazing, but it works quite well and
affords perfect color match -- which doesn't matter if the piece is
painted.

No I've never tried it. I do have some of the rod but I don't think
I've got any of the flux (there's a lot of different kinds of flux out
there but I don't remember that kind).

I've used it to repair some intricate "lacey" cast iron things, like
cracked foot treadles for antique sewing machines. It doesn't really
puddle, you kind of mush it in. It's hard to find.

In situations where you want a color match and don't care about the
hardness I'm sure it's great.

It's about like the parent metal in hardness, is easily worked with a
file.