Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Default hard versus soft solder

I'm doing some brass model building and the book that I am using as a
guide (by Gerald Wingrove) mentions hard and soft solder. What am I
looking for as far as differences? I suspect the "hard" solder has a
higher melting point (silver solder???) than the soft solder. The stuff
that I got at Radio Shack has this on the label:

Standard Rosin-Core Solder
60/40 (does this mean 60% lead/40% tin?)
..062 dia
8 oz.

I suppose that this is more a "soft" solder. What specs should I look
for in a "hard" solder.

Sorry for all the dumba** questions, but I gotta get this figured out.

Thanks

Mike