Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical millingvise?

SNIP
Any help is appreciated

========================
First thing to do is to buy and read:

Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Tubal Cain
Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.
List Price: £6.95
Our Price: £5.56 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over
£15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details & conditions.
You Save: £1.39 (20%)
Powell's in the US generally has this in stock see
http://www.powells.com/

I already own the book and a few more in the series (workholding as an
example)

Busybee tools carries them in canada

second thing to do is to order one or more morse taper end mill
adapters to fit your lathe. You can use a piece of "allthread"
as a drawbar. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO USE A JACOBS
TYPE DRILL CHUCK WITH OUR WITHOUT A DRAWBAR. You can also make a
adapter to go on your face plate from a piece of 1 inch thick
plate or bar.

Endmill holder has gone from the "would be nice" pile to the necessary
pile in my tooling update

Third thing is to *NEVER* attempt to climb cut [where the endmill
tends to pull the part into the cut.] Even the best lathes have
far too much backlash to do this.

Every book i've ever seen says not to do this on anythign short of a
giant production machine a lathe is not a giant production mill

Forth thing is to keep telling your self "its not a mill ... its
not a mill..." and take light cuts.

Can I say "it makes me want to buy the mill faster" instead =)

I only intend to use lathe milling until i can resolve my time and space
issues and get a real mill and working area

Much high quality work has been done with a lathe adopted as a
milling machine. It is not as convieient or fast.

The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never
used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.

See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...theMilling.htm
to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical
adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same
thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is
rigid.

Uncle George

Even with the section incomplete your website is amazing and has been
bookmarked as i am an electronics telecom person entering into craft
machining

Thanks very much

Brent Philion
Ottawa Canada