Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rancher Sam

Default arc welding with generator

I would like to start practicing with an arc welder on scrap metal so I
can move on to welding up metal buildings. The problem is, there is no
electric where I need to practice my welding. I do have a 5500 watt
generator with 9500 surge. I'd like to buy a buzz box to start arc
welding, but I don't want to destroy my generator either for drawing
too much current. Do you guys have any estimates as to how many amps I
can go up to on a buzz box and stay under 5500 watts from the
generator? I'm looking at the 225 amp AC buzz box.

Thanks,

Sam