Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

Default Keeping fridge in a cupboard - good or bad energy?

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 12:37:39 GMT, Richard Marx wrote:

Hi, I have recently moved and have a large kitchen cupboard designed to take
a fridge, with a full-height wooden door on it (almost like entering another
room or broom cupboard). Is keeping the fridge in there with the door shut
a good thing or a bad thing, energy-consumption-wise?

I.e. does the fridge's heat not dissipate so well, heating the cupboard,
causing the fridge interior to warm up faster so its thermostat clicks in
more often; or does it keep the cool in by double-insulating the fridge
making it more energy efficient?

I don't notice any particular cold or hot air when I open the door, but it
certainly keeps the noise in with the door shut!

Thanks for any advice.

Bad idea.
Fridges have to give out the heat they have taken from the food.
They do it most efficiently in a cold room. That's why you have to turn
them up in the summer.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK