Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
dave

Default Keeping fridge in a cupboard - good or bad energy?

If the cupboard was really designed for a fridge properly there would be
some ventilation built in, either to the outside world or into the room
containing the cupboard.

You really can't win. In winter venting the cupboard to the outside world
would be the best solution for energy consumption of the fridge, but not
neccesarily the house heating. In Summer your house might be cooler than
the outside world on average depending on construction, so venting into the
house would be best. The whole story needs to consider the heating/ cooling
energy requirements of your whole house. Its impossible to say without
knowing exact energy balance details for your house with regard to heating
and ventilation and temperaures, when a change over point would give you the
least energy consumption overall. So I would say forget it and put the
fridge where it pleases you most. You won't make much difference to your
bills or Ozone layer either way.

Dave

"Richard Marx" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi, I have recently moved and have a large kitchen cupboard designed to
take a fridge, with a full-height wooden door on it (almost like entering
another room or broom cupboard). Is keeping the fridge in there with the
door shut a good thing or a bad thing, energy-consumption-wise?

I.e. does the fridge's heat not dissipate so well, heating the cupboard,
causing the fridge interior to warm up faster so its thermostat clicks in
more often; or does it keep the cool in by double-insulating the fridge
making it more energy efficient?

I don't notice any particular cold or hot air when I open the door, but it
certainly keeps the noise in with the door shut!

Thanks for any advice.