Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default H.F sells junk

John P. wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:12:00 -0500, (tony
stramella) wrote:

If you use H.F.tools to make a living you arn't making much of one.If
you use them for the home work shop were precision is not a problem or
work qualiy dosen't matter then you don't take pride in your work.

According to your theory, if one were to purchase a hammer at Harbor
Freight and use it to frame a house, the work would be inferior to the
job done by anyone who happens to purchase a hammer at Home Depot.

I must say that I have a preference for buying good tools when I can,
but that's not to say that cheap tools are useless. It depends on the
tool. I would not purchase an economy adjustable wrench under any
(normal) circumstances. A £5 adjustable wrench destroys nuts like crazy.
I have a Bahco adjustable wrench which cost me £28 if I recall
correctly, but it was worth every penny. It fits any nut as accurately
as a good open-ended spanner. But I bought a £5 mole wrench (vise grips)
and haven't had any problems with it. A £25 mole wrench is probably a
bit tougher, has nicer plating and a worthwhile guarantee, but the £5
wrench is serviceable. Similarly most cheap hammers are perfectly
serviceable. It depends on the tool.

Chris