Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default HVAC question and saga (long)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wrong on several accounts. The one thing I learned was price was NOT a
qualifier. In fact the guy we picked was far from the cheapest. The
reason he was picked and kept was he came highly recommend from some
one we trusted to know. We fired him the when he did show up once in 3
weeks. Also he just lost his girl of many years, and was a friend of
our neighbor, and he was the only one to install with metal runs.

Of all the service personal that have come out only one said oil was
not appropriate.

And in this case, sure sounds like it., huh?

There is ample head room and space, but alas no steps. The original
installer used a lift to get it up. And light is not a problem. There
is a complete floor and pan under the unit.

No one in his right mind installs a oil burner in an attic.
Period.
Sure, it can be done..

we have paid out nearly twice the orginal spec. And at this point we
are condsidering, turning it off for several years, and when finances
get better replace it with a propane unit.

In all seriousness, sucks not to get it done right the first time.

So far the folks who supply the fuel are the only answer. And what
about the first 4 contractors who screwed ever thing up...they did not
supply the fuel...what criteria do you use to tell one from the
other....a secret hand shake maybe. I would say at this point most of
the contractors in the HVAC biz are hacks.

And most homeowners are whiny bitches, but hey, you get a few good ones..LOL
Seriously, there is no magic way to get a good contractor. Good contractors
wont advertise much, they have more work than they can handle. They wont
have a huge ad in the yellow pages screaming look at me, and Look how much
we pay out a month to get your attention.
The best ones, you probably wont ever hear of.

Im curious...what part of the country are you in, and how much did you pay
for your already obsolete system?

Hell, better yet, you can name names too....who was the fool that started
you on this journey that seems to have no end?