Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repairing broken flange on drainpipe

Well judging from the pic you can try to unscrew the first chrome
looking nut from the wall. It looks like its backwards from what I'm
used to. It should come off counter clockwise and be a compression
washer on the 90º that would normally slide into the pipe that comes
out of the wall. If it comes of clockwise ( and that is what it looks
like) there will probably be a flange coming from he wall and the 90º
will be threaded where it meets the pipe going into the wall. If that's
the case then post a picture after you take that off. You should be
able to do it with moderate persuasion from some Channel-Locs.
It actually looks like there's a flange soldered into the copper? waste
that goes into the wall.
Is this your house or a rental?

It's my house for the time being.

I cut the 90 off (it was rotten in a couple of places). The horizontal
pipe going to the right was soft also and had some rot on it. I removed
all of that and ended up with this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22...se/cutpipe.jpg

There were no threads ANYWHERE on there. The 90 was solder to a section
of copper that was sectioned to what I think is lead (or old
galvanized, whatever it is, it's fairly thick and solid, like a black
pipe).

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a section of 1.25", cleaning out
the stub from the wall (the inside was cleaned out since I shot this
picture, I'll wipe it with some wet or dry to remove the remaining
crud). I'll solder a 90 to this section of pipe, then I'll slide the
other end of pipe into the outlet shown and will solder that up.

It would have been cheaper for her to buy a new contact lens, but then
I'd be repairing this at another time.