Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Group question on machining something

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:28:25 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:10:52 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Gee, all that work for a $8.60 part!
Steve

This is a machining hobby group..right? Im learning to be a
machinist. I think of this as a practical application/lab in the
course. This is not like making a steam engine, or a V8 or something
hard. I was just asking about the best way to do something simple.

I agree. It's not always about the cost----what you went through is a good
learning experience.

snip--

The mystery metal I used for the Body of the thingy..its
magnetic..and it rusts..but ****me it was hard turning..you can see by
the blue chips, and drilling it was interesting..chips came out as
flakes rather than curls. Shrug..I have a 6 foot bar of it..

That could be chrome moly, by the machining description. If it's 4140,
4143 or 4340, it won't like being welded.

Harold

It probably is CM. I figure I can tig it with stainless filler rod. If
not..Ill make an over sleeve out of something known, or bore a hole in
a chunk of 1" plate and hold it in place with set screws or snap
rings. The mount needs to be adjustable in 3 planes so the square hole
lines up properly with the shaft..so it will be assembled, clamped,
marked then tigged, or even slotted and assembled with bolts.

This is all part of the fun.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner