Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Group question on machining something

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:10:52 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Gee, all that work for a $8.60 part!
Steve

This is a machining hobby group..right? Im learning to be a
machinist. I think of this as a practical application/lab in the
course. This is not like making a steam engine, or a V8 or something
hard. I was just asking about the best way to do something simple.

I agree. It's not always about the cost----what you went through is a good
learning experience.

snip--

The mystery metal I used for the Body of the thingy..its
magnetic..and it rusts..but ****me it was hard turning..you can see by
the blue chips, and drilling it was interesting..chips came out as
flakes rather than curls. Shrug..I have a 6 foot bar of it..

That could be chrome moly, by the machining description. If it's 4140,
4143 or 4340, it won't like being welded.

Harold