Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default HVAC question and saga (long)

"Bob" wrote in message
I wouldn't put a reservoir in a residential attic, especially if it only
feeds one heater. They are meant for shops/factories, where they feed
several heaters at the same time. Although they are usually safe, why take
the chance of putting a tank in the attic? A two-stage fuel pump installed
directly on the burner will most likely solve the problem.

I agree that a day tank is not needed. One other thing I WOULD do is put a
safety pan under the unit. At LEAST one under the burner.....

"Vince" wrote in message

I am no expert; they will jump in, soon.

First answer: Yes. A two stage (B-pump) in a lift feed piping system
is logically called for. A lift feed piping system, is one where the
oil tank reservoir is located at a level below the oil burner pak, as
opposed to a gravity feed.

The info available at

http://www.suntecpumps.com/PDFs/Inst...tion%20III.pdf
will make good reading. However, 18 feet for a two stage is specified
as the maximum vertical rise. It would take some studying for sure.

See also

http://www.suntecpumps.com/PDFs/Form...stallation.pdf
forTABLE B: TWO-PIPE MAXIMUM LINE LENGHT.
The 1/2 inch piping is called for your requirements of the oil burner
solution.

The above two links are offered for your reading reference in case you
have not yet gone there.

Good luck.

On 31 Dec 2005 06:34:07 -0800, wrote:

First the question. I have an oil burner in the attic. Its relatively
new, couple months old. It recently started to lose prime. It has about
a 20 ft vertical lift and a horizontal draw of about 50 ft. The 5th
HVAC person to work on the system (hence the saga) says they can fix it
by replacing the 3/8" single line with two 1/2" lines and a two stage
(B) pump. Is this reasonable?