Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Group question on machining something

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:10:52 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Gee, all that work for a $8.60 part!
Steve

This is a machining hobby group..right? Im learning to be a
machinist. I think of this as a practical application/lab in the
course. This is not like making a steam engine, or a V8 or something
hard. I was just asking about the best way to do something simple.

I finished the moving parts this morning, all I need to do now, is
make the attachment bracket that bolts to the bottom of the carraige,
weld the body to the bracket, and make up a handle and weld it to the
handle ring, then attach the handle ring to the sleeve with some set
screws. I made a change in mid stream so I didnt have to use a snap
ring to hold it together..and the handle ring will be adjustable so I
can position it any angle I want. Ill photograph the whole thing when
Im done and its installed. Clausing wanted $400 for it..with a 6 week
turn around time...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gunnerasch4570/my_photos

clausing1 album. Shrug...I ddnt think to photograph cutting the groove
in the square bar stock. Actually a piece of P20 I think. Some tough
****. The mystery metal I used for the Body of the thingy..its
magnetic..and it rusts..but ****me it was hard turning..you can see by
the blue chips, and drilling it was interesting..chips came out as
flakes rather than curls. Shrug..I have a 6 foot bar of it..

I saw in the Clausing manual, that there is a gizmo that also attaches
to the run/stop/reverse bar..that you can put on to have the machine
automatically shut off at a certain point...I think thats next on the
list. That one will be a weldment I think. Got to keep my hand in
all the methods.

Gunner

"DT" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Whats the best way to make a square hole in a round piece of material,
without a broach?

Gunner, I know you would probably rather make your own, but these things
are
readily available from Green Bay Manufacturing:

http://www.greenbaymfgco.com/catalog.php

Dennis

for torturing the cat." Gunner