Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default ceramic tile under a leaking toilet needs to be replaced

"
Are you saying that sometimes leaks will be easy to notice, or all the
time? Seems like sometimes it would leak below the floor without
ever making it to the back, but I have no experience on this.

What I'm trying say is instead of the water sitting under the water closet
( toilet) trapped by a ring of caulking, increasing damage to the flooring
and sub floor. The cap in the caulking will let the water out you will be
able to se the water on the floor and know there is a problem. Most the time
the damage is done by the time you realize there's a leak. If it's my house
I don't even caulk the WC for about a week when I first flush it I slide a
piece of paper under the mooting and see if it picks up any moisture.