Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Default What I Got For Christmas Thread

Well maybe we'll meet on a stream down there one of these day's Tom. I'll
be the short guy bobbing up 'n down in the water waving like crazy as I go
by cause my waders just got filled...;-)

Now a real wood-fishin-dorker would probably be telling us that a bamboo
(4/6 strip) rod is the only way to go and that the ugly sticks we're using
are scaring the trout away... Now that's something I would love to try and
make. You're right about the line Tom when it comes to small streams - the
rod 'n reel are just along for the ride. To that end, I picked up some
Cortland "Sylk" to use on my 4wt rod/reel. I've heard good things about that
line and hey, it's only half the cost of a WWII blade !

Happy New Year to ya all,

Bob S.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:51:11 GMT, "Bob S" wrote:

Got a nice 9' St. Croix fly rod and a House of Hardy reel. This is one
slippery slope too - just like woodworking but I can tie the two together
easily. Making a reel winder (like the one from Orvis) and plan to make
several different size net frames to try some simple steam bending.
Anyone
know where to buy fish netting material?

As I recall Tom, don't you do a bit of fishing in your backyard?

Bob S.

Yes I do.

And I envy you both your rod and reel.

I have a "White River" which I believe to be a Chinese knockoff off
an Orvis small reel.

It works well enough - it certainly works better than I do.

In the small streams of Pennsyltucky where I fish, it's the line, more
than the reel, or even the rod, that tells the tale.

I have a fat forward line from Orvis that shoots into pocket water
very well.

Got afast action eight footer that helps out also.

The fish are small but the fun is big.

Good onya, BobS.

Further Away Than Yesterday
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/