Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig

Default FWW Article on sharpening machines

I was in the same space as you are now, wanting to insource my jointer
and planer knive sharpening. I went with the makita and never looked
back. It is wonderful for that job, and the way I figure the cost of
sharpening knives on an outsource basis after five or six sharpenings
I'll have the unit paid for, at least that's the way I look at it.
Ditto the comment on the Highland hardware aftermarket jig for irons
and chisels, for another $15 its worth it.

As far as how the machine works, it took me about 30 minutes to do the
first 15" planer knive, the second took 15 minutes, the third 5. There
is a learning curve, but the guide rule assembly is excellent.
Download the instructions for using the machine that is found at the
Highland Hardware site, they are very good and much clearer than the
instructions that come with the manual. I picked mine up on a trip to
the Grizzly store near Williamsport PA for $250, best $250 I have spent
on a sharpening machine; I have the white waterwheel delta and its on a
shelf, and has been for quite a while, its garbage.

Mutt

Stephen M wrote:
I have been thinking about upgrading my sharpening capabilities.
Consequently, I was excited when I saw that FWW did a review of motorized
sharpening systems.

Boy was I disappointed. The author did a minireview of each machine, but
used different criteria for each machine, or at least commented on different
aspects of each machine. This approach made it pretty much impossible
compare and contrast products.

I paid particularly close attention to the Makita 9820-2.The author said
that it is great for jointer and planer knives, it is a weak for plane irons
because you have to freehand the iron on the tool rest.

I find this odd because Steve Knight has been a proponent of this tool and
he uses it primarily for plane irons. On top of that he just invested in a
spiral jointer setup (abandoning the ability to in-house-sharpen his
knives). It just seems all very counter to the articles assessment.

I specifically want to in-source my jointer and planer knife sharpening. The
review of the Makita would have been more helpful if it told me what other
systems had knife sharpening capability and if it was any good.

In fairness, knife sharpening was probably outside the scope of the article,
but the introduction said that he would test the systems on chisels plane
irons and carving tools. I don't recall him commenting on carving tool
capability anywhere in the article.

My dad has a Delta 23-700, one of the tools reviewed. Frankly, I think the
quality of that unit sucks. The article really did not pan any unit. It just
picked a favorite.

Did anyone else think that article left allot to be desired?

-Steve