Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Putting a hole in a frame rail.

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:28:04 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:19:00 GMT, Ignoramus24987
wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:04:12 GMT, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:14:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

So far, everybody else has offered brute-force sollutions. I'll bet this is
faster and easier. Center punch the center, draw a circle 7/64" smaller
than the finished hole, prick marks on this circle 1/8" apart, use an air
drill and 1/8" stub bits and drill these holes, knock-out the slug, clean-up
with a tapered reamer, finish with a sized reamer.

If you are really careful, a .243 winchester will make a nice
.308-315 hole in a frame. Might have to grind off a little crater wall

I once shot a nice hole through a railroad tie plate with a 7.62x54R
Mosin-Nagant rifle.

So how do you deal with the "Come-backs" in this situation if that
bullet decides not to punch through but to bounce?

It's bad enough trying to punch concrete nails into seasoned
underground garage ceiling slabs with a Remington .22 and having the
nails hit the first chunk of quartz gravel and make a U-turn. After
the first two bounces you give up and get the drill.

I don't want to think about a bullet bouncing back...

-- Bruce --

Only pistol bullets bounce back. Rifle bullets..now you may get a
spray of fragments..generally splatter from the steel target, but
rifle bullets break up. We are not talking AP here..cupronickle
jacket with a lead core.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner