Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

Default residential electrical question

"The new NEC allows only #12 for any circuit that has an outlet on it."

Whoa... So you mean all of the Lighting Circuit outlets I just put in the
Garage for the Plug in Shop lights the Inspector is going to complain about?

I put in 3 outlets per circuit all branched from a Junction box..

hmmm...

Scott-

"spudnuty" wrote in message
ups.com...

waldowonka wrote:
Yes it's a 20 amp breaker. I'm pretty sure it's 14/2. It has a white
jacket, I think 12/2 is a different color. A wash machine has been the
only thing on the circuit for the last few years so I'm thinking its
ok. I asked the question because when I installed the GFI recept. the
GFI tripped. Not sure if you can jumper across the 2 hot sides of the
recept. with the black wire, white on neutral etc.

On GFCIs that I've worked with (Leviaton, Cooper) one set of (2) brass
(y'know black-brass-burn your -ss) and chrome (usually) screws are
marked "Line". The other two are marked "Load" . Connect to the load to
connect other outlets that you want protected. Sounds like you
connected the in and out together. The GFCI won't like that.
All washers and dryers in the laundry room should be grounded to a
metallic cold water pipe. Use crimp screw connectors and #12 stranded
green wire. Find the grounding points on the back of the appliances.
As far as the grounded outlet is concerned, with the GFCI you'll be
closer to code.
The wire gauge would be written on the side of the cable and #14 is
rated at 15 A. The new NEC allows only #12 for any circuit that has an
outlet on it.
Richard