Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

Default residential electrical question

You should not jumper the two Hots on the GFI Recept. You wire up the GFI
Recept differently then a normal Recept. The Hot is Already connected
internally though the GFI Circuitry, as it the Neutral.

So if you just want to use the 2 Outlets that are on the GFI, just hook up
the top outer screws on the GFI, You don't need to hook up the bottom set
unless you are going to feed another outlet.

If you are going to feed another outlet, then you hook up the other outlets
to the LOAD side (inner bottom) of the GFI.

the Different Color for 12/x romex is not that old. I still have lots of
White 12/2. You would normally have 12/2 with a 20a breaker and 14/2 with a
15a breaker.

Scott-

"waldowonka" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes it's a 20 amp breaker. I'm pretty sure it's 14/2. It has a white
jacket, I think 12/2 is a different color. A wash machine has been the
only thing on the circuit for the last few years so I'm thinking its
ok. I asked the question because when I installed the GFI recept. the
GFI tripped. Not sure if you can jumper across the 2 hot sides of the
recept. with the black wire, white on neutral etc.