Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical millingvise?

Atlas actually had one that they made too?

I actually have a 10F that i'm using for this

as far as i can see i CAN buy a Myford slide and make it work on the 10F
compound with minimal adapting

but you think it would be superior to a vise arrangement?

spaco wrote:
I've only done a couple of milling projects in my Atlas 10F lathe, but
it sure can be done. My lathe has the Atlas milling vise, which, I
think, is similar to the palmgren. Don't plan on any heavy cuts.
IMHO you HAVE to have a collet setup for the milling cutters, though.
HSM has had several articles over the years where the author has done
milling in the lathe. I was always jealous of Myford owners with that
t-slot compound, too.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Brent Philion wrote:

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works
but the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane
people would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for
turning. As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me
it makes more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe
than to do nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a
myford vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve
until i could get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated