Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical millingvise?

I dont have a collet setup yet its in the "to get" list along with the 4 jaw

the lathe needs a tooling update since most of it is 50 years old and i
will gradually deal with it and i want to swap out the old lanterns
style toolpost for a quick change and so on

I think caution and milling SLOWLY and carefully will counteract some of
the lack of rigidity
but by the same token i know its a tradeoff i'm making until i can
afford a real milling machine

but the question is am i better off with a vertical slide table and a
T-slot clamping kit a la myford

or a vertical slide milling vise

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-m...ttachment.html

I know there are guys in this forum just WINCING seeing me look at these
piddly things compared to a real mill

wrote:
My first metalworking investment was a PRAZI lathe with the milling
attachment. Used it for several years before advanced to an EMCO lathe
with milling head, then a mill/drill.

The lathe/mill adapter is very limited in how big a part it can mill.
Also, not very rigid. But it does get you going. Since both of the
attachments you ask about attach to the cross slide on your lathe, you
can determine the maximum length of a pass you can make.

How do you intend to hold the end-mill? Do you have a collet setup for
the lathe? If you are going to use small end-mills, the maximum speed
of the lathe may be a little slow.

Good luck! Paul