Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical milling vise?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:34:20 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works but
the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane people
would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for turning.
As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me it makes
more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe than to do
nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a myford
vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve until i could
get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated

========================
First thing to do is to buy and read:

Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Tubal Cain
Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.
List Price: £6.95
Our Price: £5.56 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over
£15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details & conditions.
You Save: £1.39 (20%)
Powell's in the US generally has this in stock see
http://www.powells.com/

second thing to do is to order one or more morse taper end mill
adapters to fit your lathe. You can use a piece of "allthread"
as a drawbar. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO USE A JACOBS
TYPE DRILL CHUCK WITH OUR WITHOUT A DRAWBAR. You can also make a
adapter to go on your face plate from a piece of 1 inch thick
plate or bar.

Third thing is to *NEVER* attempt to climb cut [where the endmill
tends to pull the part into the cut.] Even the best lathes have
far too much backlash to do this.

Forth thing is to keep telling your self "its not a mill ... its
not a mill..." and take light cuts.

Much high quality work has been done with a lathe adopted as a
milling machine. It is not as convieient or fast.

The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never
used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.

See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...theMilling.htm
to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical
adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same
thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is
rigid.

Uncle George