Ed Huntress

Default What is the future of manufacturing?

Sorry about that last empty message, bg. My trigger finger got jumpy.

As you sit there telling other people what they must do, bg, what is

it
you
suggest? Should they all start becoming middlemen for China?

I am suggesting that we need innovation, nothing else. It is
conceptual,but some people will become middlemen, some laborers, some
engineers, and so on. I believe what we are seeing is a natural state
of economics.

Let's hear specifics, bg. Otherwise, it's all meaningless mush.

Innovation is not utter nonsense. Thousands of companies all over the
world are planning for it everyday. How many times has IBM reinvented
itself? Countless. Yes, we are the most innovative economy in the
world. It is our greatest advantage, and have said/alluded so in my
this area. How do you relate this to be self serving? It is our
countries greatest economic asset!

Engaging in trade with a low-wage country while prescribing "innovation" for
your countrymen is self-serving, bg. You admonish the people who have lost
their jobs to low-wage imports to do something that you acknowledge you
can't imagine how to do yourself.

It's all a scapegoat argument for some dynamics that require a more thorough
examination than the one you've given to it. Your posture is not far from
one of blind faith.

But don't take this personally. I get serious about it because it's a
serious issue. We're awash in fuzzy, qualitative arguments about what the
problem is and what should be done about it, by people who won't take the
time to investigate the accuracy of what they say. We need an antidote for
that.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)