Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Web Page Has a New look

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:34:26 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:39:40 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Check out my new webpage and give me some frigg'en feedback...

I like the way you did the shop tour with hotspots around various areas.

Thank you.

On the ash bed, how did you put together the 4 x 4 posts?

The posts are made from solid ash (no lamination) and are connected with
M&T's within the foot board and head board. The head board is joined to
the foot via the long rails using detachable bed hardware from Rockler that
is mortised into the posts. So far it surpasses my expectations with
regards to sturdyness. It doesn't rock at all in any direction. It
probably contains the most wood of any of the projects I have built to date.
All of the rails are constructed of 5/4 ash. It is VERY heavy.

That should hold up to years of abuse.

Are you still working on your captains bed? I am looking forward to seeing
the finished product. The CAD drawing looked awesome.

Still working on it, this is looking to be another year-long project.
I've had the past couple of weeks off, so I've had the opportunity to spend
some quality time in the shop on this project. I've got the base carcases
completed with the face frames and drawer dust skirts attached. I started
working the drawers this week; 14 drawers is a lot of drawers -- the raw
materials are taking quite a bit of time just to get dimensioned. I've
completed milling and glueing up the cherry drawer fronts and have started
milling the ash drawer sides and backs. My plan is to complete the base
carcases and drawers first, then work the head and footboards. In the back
of my mind I'm puzzling out how to put together the wide headboard posts
and be able to get the curves cut and a fine finish cut on the wide side of
the posts.