Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default mortar recipe

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:04:13 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to just "butter" up some flat pieces of flagstone, the biggest one
square foot. Most less. I want to stick them to a cinderblock wall that I
have powerwashed the paint off. I am also going to make some boxes out of
cinderblock, and cover them with flagstone. I guess the mortar would be
about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Is that okay? Should I just use premixed mortar
or thinset?

I have hundreds of pounds of flagstone left from laying walkways.

I live in Las Vegas, where it gets hot, is mostly warm all the time, hardly
freezes, doesn't rain very often, if that makes a difference in the mixture.

I want to buy a small mixer, mix as much as I can use in an hour or so, then
mix another exactly like the first. How long until I have to use up the
mortar? Start from the top down on the vertical surfaces so I don't spatter
the previously laid stones?

I don't think this is going to work very well. Mortar isn't
glue, and most of the stone veneering products I've seen are
a couple inches thick, which allows for stacking, and better
mechanical locking. I'd expect flagstone to be too thin.
Was I doing this with flagstones less than 1 1/2" thick,
I'd think seriously about using grout-colored epoxy.

Boulder creek has installation instructions for there
"simulated stone" venner product, which I suppose you
could try following, at
http://www.bouldercreekstone.com/

But you should note first that the product they're talking
about weighs only about 90 pounds per cubic foot, which
I believe is noticably lighter than most stone.

(see also http://www.halquiststone.com/thinven...stallation.cfm)