Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default mortar recipe

I want to just "butter" up some flat pieces of flagstone, the biggest one
square foot. Most less. I want to stick them to a cinderblock wall that I
have powerwashed the paint off. I am also going to make some boxes out of
cinderblock, and cover them with flagstone. I guess the mortar would be
about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Is that okay? Should I just use premixed mortar
or thinset?

I have hundreds of pounds of flagstone left from laying walkways.

I live in Las Vegas, where it gets hot, is mostly warm all the time, hardly
freezes, doesn't rain very often, if that makes a difference in the mixture.

I want to buy a small mixer, mix as much as I can use in an hour or so, then
mix another exactly like the first. How long until I have to use up the
mortar? Start from the top down on the vertical surfaces so I don't spatter
the previously laid stones?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

This will work with premixed mortar and give you a uniform color. You will
need to start at the bottom and support each from the one below. Use broken
pieces for shims. Point the entire wall after all stones are set.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Steve B wrote:
I want to just "butter" up some flat pieces of flagstone, the biggest one
square foot. Most less. I want to stick them to a cinderblock wall that I
have powerwashed the paint off. I am also going to make some boxes out of
cinderblock, and cover them with flagstone. I guess the mortar would be
about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Is that okay? Should I just use premixed mortar
or thinset?

Either or. Latex modified thinset will have the greatest adhesion. If
you want to use mortar, brush some Weldcrete on the back of the stone -
it'll make it stick much better. Skimcoating the wall and buttering
the back of the stone would be a good way to go. Dampen the block
before you start setting and do that periodically in the section you're
moving into. It'll keep the block from sucking the moisture out of the
mortar too quickly and interfering with the curing. Spray the
installation with water periodically during the first three days so the
mortar will achieve its full strength.

I have hundreds of pounds of flagstone left from laying walkways.

I live in Las Vegas, where it gets hot, is mostly warm all the time, hardly
freezes, doesn't rain very often, if that makes a difference in the mixture.

I want to buy a small mixer, mix as much as I can use in an hour or so, then
mix another exactly like the first. How long until I have to use up the
mortar? Start from the top down on the vertical surfaces so I don't spatter
the previously laid stones?

The working time is dependent on the temperature and humidity. Since
you're in high temperature low humidity land, it won't be a very long
time. You'll figure it out as you go along. Don't mix up too much to
start.

In any masonry work, you work from the bottom up. You really have to
due to the weight of the materials. Don't worry about the splatter too
much - just have a damp sponge handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:04:13 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think this is going to work very well. Mortar isn't
glue, and most of the stone veneering products I've seen are
a couple inches thick, which allows for stacking, and better
mechanical locking. I'd expect flagstone to be too thin.
Was I doing this with flagstones less than 1 1/2" thick,
I'd think seriously about using grout-colored epoxy.

Boulder creek has installation instructions for there
"simulated stone" venner product, which I suppose you
could try following, at
http://www.bouldercreekstone.com/

But you should note first that the product they're talking
about weighs only about 90 pounds per cubic foot, which
I believe is noticably lighter than most stone.

(see also http://www.halquiststone.com/thinven...stallation.cfm)

Thin Mortar for Tuck Pointing [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 11:56 PM
mortar mix recipe SteveB Home Repair 2 February 15th 05 03:05 PM
custom shower mortar bed question Spud Home Repair 3 January 28th 05 05:39 AM
New whirlpool tub: Part 1: Mortar support? MAG Home Repair 4 June 28th 04 06:14 PM
Fireplace Mortar vs. Fire Clay Roy Hauer Metalworking 5 July 16th 03 04:45 PM