Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Putting a hole in a frame rail.

wrote in message
oups.com...
This web page has some ideas that might help.

http://www.metalsmith.org/pub/mtlsmith/V20.4/Dholes.htm

I feel like a broken record, but.... All Metabo corded drills have safety
clutches. All this silliness about broken wrists and smashed body parts is
completely unnecessary if you have the right tool. Mine has electronic
variable speed which means it has a *lot* of torque at any RPM (model
BE1020). I can drill 1/2" holes in cast iron with one hand on the machine
without worrying that I'm going to break something. That's not to say it
won't give you a good tug if the bit jams, but that's a far cry from what
other machines are easily capable of.

Anyway, I'd go for a hole saw if I had to do this by hand. Reducing the RPMs
is important once the 1/4" pilot is through. It's difficult to sharpen hole
saws and if you only have a couple of holes, going more slowly than
recommended is only saving aggravation.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin