Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Shop tips (+ HF TIG on sale again)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:24:52 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:56:25 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

What do youse guys suggest for use (stocking up on tungsten electrodes
and accessories) for this beastie?

1/16" and 3/32". Red (thoriated). Assuming it has the proper collets.

That'll work. If your torch will accept them, gas lenses can be
useful for welding inside corners. They permit more stickout on the
tungsten. They're only a few bux each.

I got a flexible head torch from Glenn (Thanks again, sir) which
came with a gas lens. Can't wait to start practicing with the new
little beastie. While the welder looked new, the torch tip was a
used one and all the boxes had been opened and taped with magic
mending tape, though there was no REFURB sticker anywhere. Hmmm,
maybe I should have bought that $35 warranty after all...

I was just researching tungstens last night. I read that 1.5%
lanthanated is supplanting thorium (red) because people worry about
the mild radioactivity -- particularly the dust from grinding. I
don't worry about that because I don't weld for a living, but I found
it interesting that a couple of reports indicate that 1.5% La always
worked as well as 2% Th and in many cases worked better.

I wondered: why 1.5% rather than more? The answer seems to be that
it runs most like 2% Th so folks don't have to change or adjust their
automated processes.

Good tip!

The purpose of the rare earth oxides (Th, La, Ce, or Zr) is to
enable easier arcstarts, steadier arcs and cooler running on the
tungsten. Therefore, I muse, 2% La might be even better for we who
just "do what works" each time in a highly un-automated fashion.

That feels -far- too familiar. g

I ordered some 2% La in .040", 1/16" and 3/32" last night. I'll
report on my findings if anyone is interested. The beneficial effect
I expect will be most noticed at low currents (below 80 amps) on
small stuff.

Please do, Don.

I didn't get any 1/8" because I very seldom TIG at much over 150 amps
with DCSP, and the Zirconiated tungstens I have work really well on
AC for aluminum which is where (if anywhere) I ever push the pedal
to the metal.

The little HF TIG is rated best at 1/16" tungstens, 130A max.

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---