Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default bathroom sink - wall pipe damaged at turn down - how to replace?

redbyrd wrote:
house built in 80's, standard chrome platted metal pipe. I bought new
metal p-trap (to replace rusted one) and to keep consistant with
existing components. I would like to know if it is probable for me to
hack a small portion of exisitng (metal) wall pipe, replace with new
pipe. What type of connections should I get?

redbyrd

If there is any solid pipe sticking out of the wall,
you *could* saw off close to the wall and connect the
new trap arm using a rubber coupling. There is a
small (1 1/4" tubular size) coupling made just for that.
Ugly, but quick fix.

If it's rotted all the way to the wall, then you'll
have to dig further to see what kind of connection
was used inside the wall. There were many types
used depending on the part of the country and the
DWV materials.

Jim