Posted to alt.home.repair
redbyrd

Default bathroom sink - wall pipe damaged at turn down - how to replace?

I was attempting to clear a clog in a bathroom sink. While replacing
the p-trap I damaged the rust/weak wall pipe at the turn down. I
assume I will need to replace a portion of the wall pipe. Would
someone explain the process of repalcing a small portion of the wall
pipe.

redbyrd

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"redbyrd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was attempting to clear a clog in a bathroom sink. While replacing
the p-trap I damaged the rust/weak wall pipe at the turn down. I
assume I will need to replace a portion of the wall pipe. Would
someone explain the process of repalcing a small portion of the wall
pipe.

redbyrd

Your kidding right?

How could anyone help you with out knowing AT LEAST the materials your
dealing with?
Over the net vision is not perfected yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
redbyrd

house built in 80's, standard chrome platted metal pipe. I bought new
metal p-trap (to replace rusted one) and to keep consistant with
existing components. I would like to know if it is probable for me to
hack a small portion of exisitng (metal) wall pipe, replace with new
pipe. What type of connections should I get?

redbyrd

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

redbyrd wrote:
house built in 80's, standard chrome platted metal pipe. I bought new
metal p-trap (to replace rusted one) and to keep consistant with
existing components. I would like to know if it is probable for me to
hack a small portion of exisitng (metal) wall pipe, replace with new
pipe. What type of connections should I get?

redbyrd

If there is any solid pipe sticking out of the wall,
you *could* saw off close to the wall and connect the
new trap arm using a rubber coupling. There is a
small (1 1/4" tubular size) coupling made just for that.
Ugly, but quick fix.

If it's rotted all the way to the wall, then you'll
have to dig further to see what kind of connection
was used inside the wall. There were many types
used depending on the part of the country and the
DWV materials.

Jim