Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Question about turning small details

I definitely second the "Oland tool" approach. I was fumbling around
trying to deal with small details as well. Stumbled over Darrell's
site and built my first tool using 1/4" HSS toolbit from Enco. I have
since ground over half-dozen profiles - on both ends of the toolbit.

I do the rough grind on the 80grit grinding wheel, then finish up on
the belt-sander. Finally, I do a quick hone on a bench-stone. As I
use the tool, I just hone on the stone to maintain an edge.

Also, I've been playing with cutting profiles using the small grinding
stones you can get for the Dremel and other hand-held grinders. It's
slow going as the stones don't hold up well to HSS but you can get some
interesting results.

Bill W