Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Reed

Default Casters on an H press?

I wrote an article that included wheels on a press. I posted some
of the details in the dropbox.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Press4-DollyWheelDetail.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/PressBaseLayout-s.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/PressFrontSidePainted-s.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/PressWheelLeverSideClose.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/PressWheelnewText.txt

The text of the above URL is:

On the list, a fellow asked about putting wheels under his
20 ton press. I posted this to share what I did.

This is the dolly Wheel details that is part of the Home
Shop Machinist article I wrote "Build a 50/30 Ton H-Frame
Hydraulic Floor Press". The article is in the May/June
2004 issue. These are detachable and I pull them
off when not moving the press around.

PressWheelLeverSideClose.jpg detail of one wheel
PressBaseLayout-s.jpg early picture with the dolly wheels
PressFrontSidePainted-s.jpg full picture with wheels
Press4-DollyWheelDetail.jpg diagram

Each wheel is on a pipe that serves as a lever, so there are
4 wheel units. 2 have casters and 2 are not. To engage the
wheels, do one side at a time. Attach the wheel unit, one
solid and one caster. The pipes will be about a 45 degree
angle. Push down on both pipes and when you have them pushed
level, slide the latch that is in one pipe into the other pipe
and the press is on wheel for that side. Then do the other side.

I have a lot of weight on this press and thus have taken to
using a piece of pipe that fits between the press's jack and
the floor(vertical) slightly offset to the side that I'm
setting the wheels. Then use the press jack to lift that
side so one does not need to lever up the press with the
wheel pipes. Once you jack it up, simple slide the latch and
do the other side.

Hope that helps,

Reed Streifthau
Raleigh, NC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:35:49 GMT, "wrace"
wrote:

Speaking of casters. In my ongoing quest to put almost everything on wheels,
the 20ton floor standing H press is the next likely target. It is an awkward
beast to muscle around when I need to reconfigure the shop. It has angle
iron sticking out each side for legs (like most commercial built H presses).
Any reason I couldn't put a 4" caster on each corner?

It would of course make it easier to move around, but I wonder how the
casters would affect it when in actual use? Seems like the usual forces for
an H press are pretty much contained within the structure on a pretty much
vertical basis, unless you are really reefing on the jack handle I
suppose... in which case you are probably not using the right tool for the
job?

Anybody have their H press on casters? Does it work ok?

Wayne