Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rechargeable batteries

habbi wrote:
Where can you buy rechargeable batteries such as Panasonic 1.2 Volt which
are designed to be soldered. I took apart my battery packs for my 18 volt
cordless drill and they have 15 NiCad batteries which say Panasonic 07-99.
They are wrapped in brown paper and made in Japan. Thanks

What you want are tabbed cells with solder tabs already spot-welded on.
I've made packs up by soldering to cell bodies, if you get the small
ones too hot, they vent and you lose electrolyte. Only worth it if you
can get the cells for cheap, e.g. bulk surplus. Surplus cells are where
you can find them, All Electronics would be one source. One source for
bulk new cells is Mouser Electronics, they're on the web. You can also
get them made up in standard pack configurations, might save you some
time. The catalog does give physical dimensions for the cells so you
can match them up unless they're really screwy. Downside is that
buying brand-name cells may run you more than the cost of a whole new
drill.

Stan