Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

"Tony Hwang"

If the contacts on the timer is badly pitted, just replace it for peace
of mind.
Tony

The contacts were pitted, but no more than nay other relay contacts I have
seen. Smoothed them with a small file for now. There was still a fair
amount of contact material left.

I know that some relay contacts in the higher rating are made of
silver-cadmium oxide, which is closer to the surface. Once the cad-oxide is
worn, the contacts wear out much faster.

Since this is my own fridge, I can take the risk and keep that timer working
for longer. For now it's fine. If I were doing it for someone else, I'd
replace the timer.

Rich