Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
keith bowers

Default rechargeable batteries

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 11:34:38 -0600, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

I don't know of any batteries that are designed to be soldered. You can
use some of the "miracle" fluxes to do it but most battery packs have
spot-welded leads on the bats. Hughes make a lot of the more commonly
used
welders. Two welder contacts very close to each make the connection.
Once
considered a DC cap type discharge to do it. Low voltage, "high" current
(just a few amps, if that much), very quickly discharged. Doesn't take
much.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"habbi" wrote in message
Where can you buy rechargeable batteries such as Panasonic 1.2 Volt
which are designed to be soldered. I took apart my battery packs for my
18 volt cordless drill and they have 15 NiCad batteries which say
Panasonic 07-99. They are wrapped in brown paper and made in Japan.
Thanks

You CAN buy the batteries with solder tabs already welded on, but I
have had good luck with a VERY hot iron sodering "solder braid" to
standard batteries to make upbattery packs. Iron needs to be heavy and
hot so the solder job is QUICK, otherwize you dammage the batteries
(valving in particular on niMh batteries)

I rebuilt a 12 volt drill pack a couple of weeks ago. using 1.2 volt, 1300
mAH cells I got by taking a 19 volt battery pack I picked up at Big Lots.
Brand new for $11.99. I had to rearrange some of the cells. I first cleaned
the contacts using a wire brush on the Dremel tool. Then soldered using a
BIG iron with rosin core solder. You do need to be quick about it.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC