Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default taking water out of air supply

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:37:12 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Holy Crap! You really messed up MY day! All I got is a two horse
compressor and some hose. I never suspected I needed all those things.

Oh, well, like I NEED a reason to go to the tool store.

Steve, who's going to be antsy knowing I need all this stuff, and most
stores closed tomorrow.

Relax - you don't need to go that far if all you are doing is
filling a few tires and an occasional tire change with an impact
wrench. But when you go to install a permanent air line plumbing
system in your shop, it's far easier to do it right the first time.

My 4 Horse 80-gallon compressor is still in the front corner of the
garage sitting on it's shipping pallet, next to the 36" solid-core
door I bought for the outside closet - that I still have to build.
With a chunk of 8-3 SO cord plugged into the welder receptacle. A
pipe extension from the tank drain coming out to a 1/4" ball valve.
Oh, yes - And some hose. ;-)

First I need to pour a 3' x 5' slab, build, roof and stucco the
compressor closet outside the garage back door. Move the compressor
out there, bolt it down (with vibration isolation pads under the feet)
and permanently wire it in. Then I can get a vibration flex line for
the tank and run 3/4" M Copper silver-brazed for the trunk line
through the garage, then run the trunk line through the house attic in
the other direction to the back patio which is the default
'woodworking shop'. And then I can hook up the two hose reels...

I'll leave a space for the refrigerated dryer, but I don't plan on
painting any cars in the near future, so that will have to wait till I
either really need it, or I find "An offer I can't refuse."

The only real important things are to keep your tank drained, and
run a regulator so you don't break nail guns or other tools with too
much pressure - especially if you have a two-stage compressor running
over 150 PSI.

You need to have a filter inline if you are running anything dirt or
moisture sensitive (impact wrenches aren't), and add a dessicant dryer
if you are shooting paint. If nothing else, they sell disposable
inline dessicant dryers you simply throw away when they turn pink.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545