Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
Jim Baber

Default Which is more economical - electric or natural gas water heater?

John P.. Bengi wrote:

The Rinnai units are up to 199,000 BTU and can give 5
GPM at 70F rise.

How hot do you need your two simultaneous showers? I
doubt you shower at over 110F.

Jim Baber wrote:
I went through this analysis, and had a large cost of installation
on the Rinnai units. I would have had to replace over 300 feet of 1/2
inch gas pipe with 3/4 inch line, and paid the gas utility to replace my
meter. Also, my electric water heaters didn't have any roof venting,
but it would be required with the gas heaters. All together this all
would cost about $3,000 plus the heaters. I still have electric water
heaters (2), but they are now on a time of day clocks, restricting their
operation to off-peak power hours.

If I were building a new home I would use the Rinnai gas heaters as a
backup to solar domestic water heating.

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Bob Pietrangelo" wrote in

message

news

wrote in message

roups.com...

On-demand water heaters do not produce enough water

for multiple showers,

especially in the winter. They also are more prone

to mineral build-up in

the coils. I do not recommend them for anything

more than a small

apartment.

The total degree temp increase with colder input

water was the turn off for

me. Reading the specs of the various manufactures

was confusing at first

then it all made sense. That and in a city of over a

million people there

were no spare parts available.