Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Question about turning small details

Darrell Feltmate said:

Greg
The round tip is good but I would bring the angle sharper, to 45 for
faceplate and up to 60 for spindle turning. I will put some pictures on my
site. For the jig I use, check my site under sharpening.

Thanks for the info. I considered building a similar sharpening jig,
but instead developed a free-hand technique that works perfectly fine
for me with standard lathe tools.

While grinding this 1/8" tip into various forms, the tip demonstrated
a tendency to want to catch on the grinding wheel, or bounce, which is
not a particularly desirable occurrence. Dressing the wheel didn't
help and additionally, the wheel cuts so fast that it is difficult to
maintain a really smooth, rounded edge. I use a 120G 8" white wheel.
That's why I was considering a DP/sanding jig - for a slower, more
controllable cut.

The bevel is not acute enough, but since I have a total of 15 minutes
into this so far, it worked well enough to deduce that it should work
well when refined, and the behavior of the tool is predictable.

Wasn't sure whether to emulate the angles of a gouge, or if this was
an entirely new grinding paradigm. ;-) Looked around the web at a
few sites, but no one showed good close-ups of their favorite grinds.

Thanks,

Greg G.