Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default For Gunner

What has happened to Gunner?
He couldn't have let this thread go by without
comment.
Is he o.K.?

"John R. Carroll"
wrote in message
. com...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll"
wrote in
message
. com...

G.W.,
You can't legistlate morality.

Feeling contrary today, I'm going to agree with
Robert Bork on this
one and say that ALL legislation is legislation
of morality. We make
laws to distinguish what we think is right from
wrong; morality is
the distinction between right and wrong; all
legislation is about
morality.

Borking me are you! That's novel. How many
people can say they've been
Borked by Ed Huntress?
LOL
There is truth in that but the law flows from
the constitution not the other
way around.
We are, after all, discussing the Federal
interest here and not the State's.

I think what you're referring to here is
primarily sexual behavior,
maybe with some social behavior added in. We
effectively legislate
against many aspects of those things on which
there is a large
consensus. On others, the consensus breaks
down, and the laws are
largely or partially ignored.

Yes Ed, they are ignored. There is no
fundamental principal involved.
This is results in a lack of respect for the law
and has lead to the
enormous influence of small but influential
groups of advocates of
particular points of view beyond the broader
consensus.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.